You’ve probably heard or seen advertisements from companies offering to buy your home “as is” and may have wondered how this process is different than selling your home on the retail market. The purpose of this guide is to answer some of your questions about the process of selling “as is”-how it works and why it may, or may not be the right choice for you.
Listing On The Retail Market
There are basically two different ways to sell your home. The first is to sell it retail by trying to find a buyer who actually plans on living in your home. You can do this by hiring a real estate agent or by trying to sell it yourself. This is a good option if your house is in great condition and if you’re not in a hurry to sell it.
However, there are a number of disadvantages involved in selling to a retail buyer:
1. The hassles and costs required to get your home in the right condition to sell.
Depending on your particular situation, this can include major repairs, renovations, inspections, extensive cleaning, etc.
2. The length of time required.
Starting with hiring an agent all the way through preparing your house for showings and keeping it that way while waiting for the right buyer to come along, then dealing with inspections and the buyer’s loan approval process. Whew! This process from start to finish can be exhausting and very time consuming.
3. The cost of advertising, commissions and fees.
4. Hiring contractors and paying the costs required to address the repairs
Resulting from building inspections, gas inspections, municipal inspection, etc.
5. The inconvenience to you and your loved ones.
The necessity to keep your house looking perfect for showings and open houses as well as your pet locked up just in case someone decides they want to take a look can cause a lot of distress for many home sellers.
6. Stress over the unknown.
It’s all too common for complications to occur with issues such as the appraisal and ability of the buyer to be approved for the loan. Until you actually sign the closing papers and get your check, it’s hard to know if the deal will actually close.
If these issues don’t bother you, then selling on the retail market might be the right decision for you since you may receive a higher price for your home.
Selling to an “As Is” Buyer
On the other hand, if you would rather avoid the traditional headaches associated with selling a home, you may want to consider selling your property in “as is condition”. It’s important to realize that since this type of buyer doesn’t intend to actually live in your home, that buyer would have to pay less than a retail buyer. How much less? Well, that depends on a variety of things such as the condition of your home and how long it takes to sell properties in your area. Selling your home this way to a qualified buyer eliminates almost all of the worries and hassles normally involved in selling real estate and has a number of advantages.
1. Free no obligation in-home consultation.
We’ll make an appointment for a free in-home consultation whenever it is convenient for you. Once we’ve seen the home, we’ll give you a fair cash offer for your home that you can accept – or decline – at your own pace.
2. No repairs, building inspections or even cleaning required.
As buyers of as is homes, we have met with thousands of sellers and their families over the years. Many of the homes we’ve purchased have simply been dated. However, often there are additional concerns that have been shared with us time and time again.
- General mess – such as lots of clutter or trash and/or major cleaning required.
- Unpleasant smells – especially from pets, cigarettes and water damage
- Dated or run-down rooms and flooring throughout the house – especially the kitchen and baths
- Cracks in walls and ceiling
- Faded or peeling paint
- Overgrown yard and structures like garage or fences falling down
- Damage due water leaks, pets, etc.
Rest assured that when you call us, we understand how easy it is to become overwhelmed when you find yourself in this situation. Our specialty is to look past the current problems with the house and see it made new again.
3. We pay cash so you’ll have no concerns about appraisals, financing contingencies or loan approval.
Quick Closing. We usually close within three to four weeks, but we can work with you to make the process as quick as possible – or take as much time as you need. If you decide to accept our offer, we will schedule a closing date together and then contact the title company to finalize the sale
No Costs, No Fees. We don’t charge any fees or commission if you sell your home to us as is. You don’t need to worry about traditional closing costs, we have those covered as well.
Extremely convenient and private. Our only visit will be the initial in-home consultation. There will not be any showings or open houses. We do not have a sign on our vehicle and there will be no signs in your yard and no more visitors until after you have moved out. You just decide what day you want to close, take what you want to keep, get your check and walk away. It’s really that simple!
What Wren Realty Can Do For You
Our company is a local general contractor that has been purchasing “as is” property in St. Louis for over thirty years. If you are interested in selling a home “as is”, here’s why we hope you’ll consider us:
- We have an A+ rating with the BBB and we encourage you to verify by calling their 314-645-3000 hotline. Wren Realty has also sponsored the KMOX Weatherline (314-321-2222) for many years.
- We will present you with a cash offer. Because we are a local general contractor, we can pay more since we are very familiar with all 91 municipalities in this area.
- There is no need to remove personal property. Just take what you want and walk away. If you have items that you’d like to sell, we also buy contents so can help with that as well.
- We buy “as is” so there’s no need for repairs or cleanouts. We have purchased over 1300 homes in 30+ years and have seen and fixed it all from just basic updating to properties with severe issues like pet damage, mold, structural problems and hoarding. Whatever the condition, we welcome the opportunity to make your home beautiful again.
- We charge no commissions or fees and ask for no inspections or contingencies.
- We have access to funds and can close very quickly.
The sale is completely confidential and hassle free-no open houses or real estate agents. We have many testimonials and reviews from the Better Business Bureau website and Google reviews that are attached to this guide. We understand that selling a home is a big decision and hope these reviews will make you feel comfortable reaching out to us!